Questions around the chiminea

Posted in By Short Arm Sean 1 comments


It seems that we have begun a new tradition in my family. The last couple of Monday nights we have been sitting on our deck with our new chiminea burning. This week even included S'mores, a definite bonus. It has been a great time of just being a family. I guess gathering around the fire is what people of the past did in lieu of watching T.V. The quote of this past week came when Olivia stated that she wasn't close enough to feel the heat of the fire. To which Rylan replied, "Olivia, it's not about warmth, it's about the ambiance."

These little times have given us a great opportunity to talk about life and faith. It is amazing what just getting away from the television and video games will do to get these kids to open up. Questions have ranged from "what superpower would you want?" to "what will Heaven be like". Oh, and Camden's question - "Can I have another S'more?"

I feel like our retreats onto the deck are really helping me be the kind of dad I am supposed to be. Can't wait for the next one!